National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A major storm that dumped over 10 inches of snow on Lubbock, Texas, on Saturday is moving into the Southeast on Sunday with heavy rain on the southern side and as much as a foot of snow in western North Carolina and Virginia.

The very heavy snow is already impacting North Carolina and Virginia on Sunday morning. Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are being reported in parts of western North Carolina and southern Virginia. Freezing rain is also falling in parts of central North Carolina at a rate of one-tenth of an inch per hour. In the mountains of western North Carolina, near Rosman, 13 inches of snow had already been reported Sunday morning.

Waynesville, North Carolina, had seen 9 inches of snow as of 5 a.m., while Gatlinburg, Tennessee, received 7 inches. The same storm brought 7.96 inches of rain to parts of Texas, and over 6 inches of rain to parts of Louisiana.

Winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings have been issued from central Arkansas to Maryland. Flood watches have been issued for parts of Georgia, Florida and Alabama due to the heavy rain.

The radar on Sunday morning was showing a large swath of precipitation, in a classic comma-shaped pattern, from Arkansas to Virginia. Hourly rainfall rates of 2 inches per hour are possible in the Florida Panhandle and southern Georgia on Sunday morning.

The brunt of this storm will be felt during the first half of Sunday with very heavy snow in North Carolina and Virginia. The storm will try to nudge north into the mid-Atlantic later on Sunday; however, a high-pressure system bringing cold air to the Northeast should stop the storm’s northward progression. However, snow is now forecast to reach well into parts of Virginia and possibly even parts of Maryland before the end of the day.

Strong thunderstorms and heavy rain will continue in parts of Florida and Georgia Sunday evening as a cold front interacts with a relatively warmer, moist air mass. Some coastal flooding is possible Sunday along the southeast coastline due to onshore winds. This will be especially problematic in parts of the Charleston, South Carolina, area.

The storm will slide into the Atlantic Ocean by Monday morning, with only a few snow showers remaining. Widespread snowfall totals over 1 foot are likely across much of western North Carolina and into Virginia. The snowfall totals have been nudged slightly up Sunday morning, with a little bit more of the heavy snow reaching Richmond and Harrisonburg, Virginia. The storm should stay south of Washington, D.C.

Major cities in North Carolina and Virginia will see significant weather impacts on Sunday, including Raleigh, Greensboro, Roanoke and Richmond. Travel will be nearly impossible at times.

Meanwhile, it is quite cold across parts of the northern U.S. -- most notably in the Northeast, where wind chills are dropping into the lower 20s and teens.

While the cold air is uncomfortable, it is the same air mass that is preventing the major snowstorm from traveling up the coast and bringing major impact to I-95 cities.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Kanawha County Sheriff's Office(CROSS LANES, W.Va.) -- She impressed beauty pageant judges with her fiddle playing and tugged at hearts with her personal battle with multiple sclerosis, but now former Miss Kentucky Ramsey Bearse is back in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

The 28-year-old Bearse was arrested in West Virginia on suspicion of sending topless photos via Snapchat to a teenage boy, authorities said.

"This is a very difficult day, and this is a shock to her, and to me, and to everyone else," Bearse's attorney, Al Emch, told reporters following her arraignment in Kanawha County, West Virginia, Magistrate Court.

Bearse, an eighth-grade science teacher at Andrew Jackson Middle School in Cross Lanes, West Virginia, was charged with four felony counts of distribution or display of obscene matter to minors.

She was arrested on Thursday after she admitted to investigators from the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office that she sent the victim at least four topless images of herself between August and October, according to a criminal complaint. At the time, the victim was 14 or 15 years old, sheriff's officials said.

An investigation was launched on Dec. 5 when the victim's mother contacted the sheriff's office to complain that she discovered the nude photos of Bearse on her son's cellphone, according to the criminal complaint.

"The parent informed me that her son attended Andrew Jackson his sixth through eighth grade, during which Ramsey Bearse was a teacher during some of that time," Detective S.D. Ferrell wrote in the criminal complaint.

Officials at Andrew Jackson Middle School would only confirm that Bearse is a teacher at the school.

"We cannot comment on personnel matters, but we will follow all applicable policies and procedures," Kanawha County Schools officials said in a statement. "The safety and security of our students is our top priority."

Following her arraignment on Friday, Bearse, who has been married to a coal mining executive since 2016, told reporters, "I have no comment to make to you all at this time."

If convicted of the charges, Bearse faces up to 20 years in prison and a $100,000 fine.

Emch's request to have her released on her own recognizance was rejected by a magistrate, who told him during the arraignment, "I don't think that would be proper at this stage."

Bearse was released from custody after posting a $10,000 property bond, officials said.

She was crowned Miss Kentucky in June 2014 under her maiden name Ramsey Carpenter. She went on to compete in the 2015 Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, placing among the top 12 semi-finalists and winning the preliminary talent competition for her bluegrass fiddle playing.

The winner of the Miss America pageant the year Bearse competed was Miss New York Nina Davuluri.

During her reign as Miss Kentucky, Bearse promoted the platform of multiple sclerosis awareness, speaking out in numerous interviews about being diagnosed in 2010 with the disabling disease of the central nervous system. She served as spokeswoman for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Sgt. Brian Humphreys of the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office said Bearse's case is a wake-up call to all parents of young children.

"There are a lot of bad situations that can arise because of a naive understanding of how social media works," Humphreys told ABC affiliate station WCHS-TV in Charleston, West Virginia, adding, "So it's important as a parent to monitor those things, keep tabs on who your children are communicating with."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

WCVB-TV(WORCESTER, Mass.) -- A Worcester, Massachusetts, firefighter died early Sunday while battling a massive fire in a three-story building -- the latest in a sad history of firefighter deaths in the city.

Firefighters responded to a fire at 7 Lowell St. in Worcester just before 4 a.m., according to fire officials.

When conditions deteriorated and the fire went up to five alarms, five firefighters were forced to escape the blaze using ladders, officials said during a news conference on Sunday.

Two firefighters were taken to the hospital, but Christopher Roy, 36, succumbed to his injuries, officials said.

“It’s important for us to know and appreciate how incredibly hard the men of the Worcester Fire Department fought to save Chris’ life, and we know how devastating this is to them,” said Worcester City Manager Edward M. Augustus.

Roy was assigned to Ladder 4, Group 3, at Webster Square Fire Station. He had been at the department for more than two years, according to Worcester Fire Chief Michael Lavoie.

Roy had an 8-year-old daughter, Ava; and is survived by his mother, Michelle, and his father, Ron, officials said during the news conference.

“Firefighter Roy paid the ultimate sacrifice last night, doing what he always wanted to do -- helping people and saving lives,” said Worcester Mayor Joseph Petty.

This is not the first time that the Worcester Fire Department has suffered a major loss.

Six Worcester firefighters died in a cold-storage warehouse fire on Dec. 3, 1999, in a tragedy that became known as the "Worcester Six."

Then-President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore joined mourners at the memorial service.

On Dec. 8, 2011, Worcester firefighter John Davies, 43, while responding to a fire when the building he was in collapsed, according to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

"Once again, December has proven to be the cruelest month of the year for the Worcester Fire Department," said Petty at the press conference on Sunday.

"The loss is especially gut-wrenching in the wake of the anniversary of the 'Worcester Six' on Dec. 3, 1999," said Augustus. "Every day, our firefighters selflessly risk their lives without a second thought."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock(LACEY, Wash.) -- Federal authorities in Washington state are investigating the latest in a troubling series of arson cases at worship halls for Jehovah's Witnesses.

The latest fire broke out Friday at a Kingdom Hall for Jehovah's Witnesses in Lacey, Washington, completely destroying the building. The Seattle branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) ruled the fire an arson on Saturday. The fire broke out at about 3:30 a.m. and no one was in the building at the time, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office said.

The fire was the fifth at a Kingdom Hall in Thurston County this year, according to the ATF. All of the cases remain unsolved.

"Why is this specific religion being targeted? Why are these churches being targeted? What are they doing that is so wrong and oppressive?" Thurston County Sheriff John Snaza told Seattle ABC affiliate KOMO-TV.

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee responded to the latest arson on Friday, calling it an "abhorrent act."

The most recent fire before Friday's was on Aug. 8, when someone attempted to burn down a Kingdom Hall in Yelm, Washington, about 15 miles southeast of Lacey. There was minimal damage, but police also found a dummy device designed to look like an explosive. Someone opened fire on that same hall in May, spraying it with 35 rounds and causing $10,000 in damage, according to KOMO-TV.

On March 19, fires were started at Kingdom Halls in Olympia and Tumwater. Tumwater and Olympia are only 3 miles apart. Police released surveillance video at the time showing a man at the Tumwater center dressed in jeans and a navy blue hoodie pouring gasoline from a gallon jug and then lighting it on fire.

After suffering minor damage in March, the Olympia Kingdom Hall was destroyed by a second fire in July.

No one has been injured in any of the incidents, all of which have occurred in the early morning hours when no one was inside the buildings.

The ATF announced in July that it has connected the arson cases in Yelm, Olympia and Tumwater -- as well as the shooting in Yelm. It's not yet clear if Friday's fire is also connected.

"ATF is doing everything in its utmost power to contribute to solving this crime with our partners in Thurston County," ATF Special Agent-in-Charge Jonathan Blais told KOMO-TV.

The ATF is offering a combined $36,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of a suspect.  

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

DONGSEON_KIM/iStock(EL DORADO HILLS, Calif.) -- A 13-year-old boy with autism died in Northern California last week after becoming unresponsive at school while staff physically restrained him, authorities said.

The boy became violent and needed to be restrained by staff at Guiding Hands School in El Dorado Hills on Nov. 28 to "prevent the injury of staff and students," Sgt. Anthony Prencipe of the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Thursday.

The unidentified student, who was described as being 6 feet tall, 280 pounds and having "severe autism," became unresponsive while being restrained. A teacher then began administering CPR until a medic arrived, Prencipe said.

The boy was taken to Mercy Hospital of Folsom in critical condition and later transferred to UC Davis Medical Center, officials said.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office was informed two days later that the student had died.

"EDSO deputies and detectives interviewed the parties involved and are completing a full investigation," Prencipe said. "At this time, there appears to be no evidence of foul play or criminal intent."

Scott Rose, a spokesman for Guiding Hands School, said in a statement that, due to the ongoing investigation and out of respect for the student's family, he could not share full details at this time.

However, Rose confirmed there was an incident on the school's campus on Nov. 28 "involving a student in which staff needed to utilize a nationally recognized behavior management protocol to address the situation."

"After the incident, an emergency ensued and staff immediately alerted paramedics. We have since been informed the student has passed away," Rose said in the statement, which was released Thursday. "The appropriate authorities were promptly notified and we continue to cooperate with their inquiries."

Guiding Hands School is "devastated" by the loss of a "beloved member of our school community," Rose added.

Founded in 1993, the private school offers education to students ages 2 to 21 in small class sizes from kindergarten through 12th grade, according to its website.

The California Department of Education, which has a role in certifying non-public schools meet certain laws and regulations, said it suspended Guiding Hands School's certification Wednesday after investigating the incident.

The department described the private school as one that "educational agencies contract with to serve students with disabilities who are determined to need a more restrictive environment."

"The suspension means the school will not be able to accept additional students. In the meantime, the department is continuing its investigation to see if further action is necessary," Bill Ainsworth, a spokesman for the California Department of Education, told ABC News in a statement Friday.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Scott Olson/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- The nation saw multiple, unprecedented natural disasters this year, from the deadliest wildfire in California's history to the worst hurricane to hit the East Coast since 1969.

Reports from the National Centers for Environmental Information have found that climate change plays a major role in causing natural disasters to be more intense, destructive and costly to the country, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration spokesperson told ABC News. Hurricanes Michael and Florence both set records in several states.

"Climate change increases the probability that you're going to see these kinds of storms," Dr. David Easterling, a physical scientist with NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information, said of hurricanes Florence and Michael.

"The fact that Florence brought so much flooding was likely due to the warmer atmosphere," Easterling explained, and while an individual hurricane "is not necessarily due to climate change," he said an increase in strength -- like the record high winds seen in Michael -- can be linked to climate change. ''

"We expect to see not necessarily more... but the ones that we do have are going to be more powerful," Easterling said. "You're going to have stronger winds and heavier rain. And on top of that, as sea level continue to rise, then storm surge from those storms will also get worse."

Increasingly powerful storms can mean both higher death tolls and more devastation. In the fourth National Climate Assessment released on Nov. 23, 13 federal agencies estimated that the the U.S. could lose as much as 10 percent of its GDP by the end of the century.

Here is a look back at the human and financial toll of five of the biggest natural disasters to devastate the U.S. in 2018.

January: Montecito mudslides

Rain and mudslides hit wildfire-scarred areas of Montecito, California, in January, flattening homes and covering freeways. Twenty-one people were killed, including children and the elderly.

Montecito saw more than half an inch of rain fall in just five minutes. When rain falls at a rate of more than 0.4 inches per hour, it can cause debris flow, especially in fire-scarred areas where soil may be looser, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Actor Rob Lowe, who lives in Montecito, described it as a "perfect storm of bad events."

Lowe, who wasn't home at the time, told the "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" he received a video call from his son, who was at the house.

"Fires [were] everywhere, because gas lines were rupturing," Lowe said, describing the picture his son showed him. "It was like 'Armageddon.'"

"People who saw the fires, they woke up, went out to see what was going on, and then were washed away," he said on the January show. "The sadness ... I can't kind of get beyond it."

May: Maryland flooding

Flash flooding devastated historic Ellicott City in May, with residents and tourists scrambling to flee streets that turned into raging rivers.

More than 8 inches of rain fell there in just a few hours.

Megan Clark, the owner of a local toy store, was at work when the water "burst" through, rising from her ankles to her waist in minutes, she told ABC News.

Maryland National Guardsman and Air Force veteran Eddison Hermond was at an Ellicott City restaurant at the time, and he jumped into help. He was swept away to his death.

Howard County County Executive Allan Kittleman said the 2018 flood was worse than the one that hit Ellicott City two years before. In the 2016 flood, two people were killed and the city suffered millions of dollars in damages.

"My heart's broken when I walk through the town and see it," Kittleman told "Good Morning America" in May. "All I'm thinking about is the folks whose lives have been devastated for a second time in two years."

September: Hurricane Florence

At least 43 people died in Hurricane Florence, which flooded the Carolinas in September.

North Carolina was hit with 36 inches of rain and South Carolina got 24 inches -- both surpassing statewide records.

North Carolina's Cape Fear River reached an all-time high level of 8.27 feet in Wilmington, surpassing its previous record of 8.2 feet, which was set during Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

Beaufort, North Carolina resident Sara Felton and her husband were among the many whose homes were destroyed.

They waded through ankle-deep mud and marshland to return to their trailer only to discover the windows were blown out and the living room ceiling had collapsed.

"I've never seen my husband cry before, and he was just in tears," she said. "Everything was underwater."

"Our entire deck," she added, "it's like it just got lifted up and the sky just swallowed it."

Felton said when she went to her daughter's bedroom, "We could just feel the floors, it was about to collapse. We couldn't even step into the room."

"Our whole entire place was just destroyed," she said.

October: Hurricane Michael

Ferocious and historic Hurricane Michael left a trail of destruction across Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas in October, becoming the strongest storm -- based on pressure -- to hit the U.S. since Hurricane Camille in 1969.

Michael also brought the strongest winds seen since Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

It was also the first Category 4 hurricane to ever make landfall on the Florida Panhandle and "the worst storm" that area has ever seen, Florida Gov. Rick Scott said.

The hurricane devastated Panama City, Florida, and nearly demolished the small town of Mexico Beach.

Michael sounded like a freight train when it barreled into Panama City with 150 mph winds, resident Jackie Lane told ABC News.

Lane, her husband and her son rode out the storm in the second story of an inn down the street from their home. She and her son raced into the bathtub, she said, as her husband sat on the floor and put his feet up against the bathroom door.

"It was already splitting," she said of the door, her voice shaking, "and the roof came, the ceiling came off."

"For about three hours it just sucked us in and sucked us out, sucked us in and sucked us out," she said. "I thought I was gonna lose my husband 'cause the door was cracking. And the stove and refrigerator that was in there, we could hear them just banging together and clanging around. We seen the stove fly across us. We seen all the debris, trees, pieces of everything."

"We're lucky to have our lives," she said.

After wreaking havoc in Florida, Michael swept north, becoming the first major hurricane (a Category 3 or higher) to track into Georgia since 1898.

Michael also blew through the Carolinas, which were still reeling from Hurricane Florence just a month earlier, before blowing through Virginia.

Michael killed 43 in Florida and at least 10 people in other states.

November: California wildfires

Unprecedented wildfires swept through the Golden State in November, from the Camp Fire in Northern California to the Woolsey Fire in Southern California.

While three died in the Woolsey Fire, 85 people were killed in the Camp Fire, which has become the deadliest in California history.

Among those running for safety was Nichole Jolly, a nurse at a hospital in Paradise, who looked to save herself after she finished evacuating her critically sick patients.

She started driving but "the fire was blowing in so fast."

"There was sparks and flames hitting the side of my car," she told ABC News. "My car started to fill up with smoke."

"I knew I was gonna die if I stayed in my car," she said, so she jumped out.

With her pants on fire, she tried to take shelter in a colleague's car. But when that car filled with smoke, Jolly said she got out and started running.

The sky was pitch black, Jolly said, and the air burned her lungs.

"I thought I was gonna die right there," she recalled. "There was no oxygen."

Then out of the darkness, she said, a fire truck appeared. Two firemen extinguished her pants, put a fire blanket over her and lifted her into the truck, she said.

Though Jolly's home was destroyed in the blaze, "it can all be replaced," she said.

"I'm alive and I thought I was gonna die multiple times, so, it's just stuff," she said. "My life, my kids' life, my mom's life, my husband, that can't be replaced."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

FOTOKITA/iStock(NEW YORK) -- A sea of purple filled a school gymnasium in Lumberton, North Carolina, on Saturday afternoon -- purple flowers, purple ribbons, purple balloons, people wearing purple shirts and dresses.

Purple was Hania Noelia Aguilar's favorite color.

An emotional, hours-long funeral service was held at Lumberton High School in honor of the 13-year-old girl, who was kidnapped outside her family's home in Lumberton just before dawn on Nov. 5. Three weeks later, her body was found in a lake some 10 miles away.

The FBI and the Lumberton Police Department announced Saturday morning that they had arrested Michael Ray McLellan, 34, in connection with the case.

Friends and family took turns coming up to the podium during Saturday's service to read letters and poems they had wrote for Hania.

She was described as a bright, happy 8th grader who was a good student and a loving daughter, big sister and friend. Born in Fort Payne, Alabama, on March 21, 2005, Hania loved to draw and listen to music, had dreams of becoming an architect, played soccer and the viola.

"Whoever took my daughter -- he took my daughter's life, not her happiness," Hania's mother, Celsa Hernandez, said through a translator in Spanish, as tears rolled down her cheeks. She, too, wore purple for her beloved daughter.

Hania's biological father, Noe Aguilar, who lives in Guatemala, was denied a temporary visa by the U.S. Department of State to attend her funeral, according to his attorney, Naimeh Salem. He traveled thousands of miles to the U.S. southern border to request a humanitarian parole from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on Saturday morning, but was denied that too, Salem told ABC News.

Humanitarian parole allows someone who is otherwise inadmissible to the United States for a temporary period of time for a "compelling emergency," according to the DHS website.

A heartbreaking letter he wrote to her in Spanish was read on his behalf at the funeral Saturday afternoon.

"My gorgeous little girl," his letter read, in part. "It hurts my soul because I cannot be with you. But I will always keep you in my heart."

An official with the U.S. Department of State told ABC News that details of individual visa cases are confidential.

"All visa applications are adjudicated on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and other applicable laws," the official said in an emailed statement Saturday.

"The Department of State makes every effort to facilitate legitimate travel by international visitors. We are also fully committed to administering U.S. immigration law and ensuring the integrity and security of our country’s borders."

A representative for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment Saturday.

One of Hania's best friends, Jeidy Diaz Perez, read a letter at the funeral that she had written to Hania.

"When I found out what happened to you that morning, I didn't want to believe it," she said. "I prayed for you to come back that same day but you didn't. That night they found a body, I hoped that it wasn't you. But when that it was confirmed that it was you, I felt my heart breaking into pieces."

Another one of Hania's best friends, Bridgette Tellez, also read a letter. "It hurts not hearing your voice or your laughs," she said. "We now know that you are in a safe place where nobody can hurt you."

Yet another best friend, Jayden Chavis, shared an original song she wrote after Hania's death.

"I want you back," she sang during the chorus. "At least I know that you have peace."

School administrators, teachers and local officials were also in attendance, sharing words of condolences and encouragement.

SaVon Maultsby, the principal of Lumberton Junior High School, said she is "shocked, scared, angered and saddened" by Hania's death, but that every day she is reminded of how many lives Hania has touched.

"Her loving smile, her kind acts, her encouraging words, her funny conversations, her dreams and aspirations will always be a part of Lumberton Junior High," Maultsby said. "Hania has taught us to cherish the moments."

Shanita Wooten, superintendent for the Public Schools of Robeson County, said Hania's impact was evident in the teachers and school administrators who "talked endlessly about her amazing personality."

"She was amazing and truly is one of the brightest lights in the public schools of Robeson County," Wooten said.

Robeson County Sheriff Burnis Wilkins said he has seen "purple everywhere" throughout the county in memory of Hania.

"In her tragic death she has accomplished something so many of those haven’t been able to do," Wilkins said. "She has brought our community together as one people of all races and backgrounds. People who didn’t know Hania and people who did have come together like never before to share this great loss and help this family."

Lumberton Mayor Pro Tem John Cantey declared Saturday as "Hania Noelia Aguilar Day."

Hania's mother, who was the last to speak, was visibly overcome by grief at times but pressed on, expressing her gratitude for the community's support and sharing how proud she is of her daughter.

"I want to play this song for her because this is our song," she said, and then Hania's favorite song, "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri, began to play.

After the service, a mariachi band performed as Hania's white casket was loaded onto a horse-drawn carriage and taken to Meadowbrook Cemetery in Lumberton where she will be buried.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

WAPT-TV(NEW YORK) -- An inmate in Mississippi managed to hop out of a prison van while handcuffed and shackled and drive away from police -- all while pausing to honk at his dumbstruck fiancee looking on.

Timothy Clinton Moudy, 46, from Canton, Mississippi, was still on the loose late Friday and is considered armed and dangerous, police said.

The incident happened at 11:05 a.m. when the inmate was being transported back to jail following a court appearance on felony drug and weapons charges, according to Madison County Sheriff Randy Tucker. He was previously convicted of a felony and one of the charges was for a felon carrying a concealed weapon, according to jail records.

"He made the statement that he didn't want to go back to jail and right now, he isn't in jail. He's at large," Tucker said of Moudy's court appearance.

The van was parked outside the jail and the door was open as the other inmates were being taken back inside when Moudy allegedly jumped out of the back and managed to get inside the driver's seat despite being both handcuffed and shackled with belly chains.

The van was running at the time and he drove away with handcuffs and shackles on, Tucker said at a press conference Friday afternoon. Tucker also said there was a gun inside the vehicle, so they are considering him "armed and dangerous."

No other inmates remained in the vehicle.

Moudy managed to ram a sheriff's deputy's car as he escaped, and honked at his fiancee, who was in the parking lot, according to Jackson ABC affiliate WAPT-tv.

"I thought it was a dream -- like a deer in headlights. Never in a million years would I have thought it," said his fiancee, who only wanted to be known as Taylor. "I was standing there and he honked, because he saw me. But I figured he would've turned around or came [home]."

Through tears, she pleaded for him to turn himself in, "Just call, all you have to do is call."

Tucker said he believes Moudy would still be in the area.

"He's a hometown boy. He's from here. He doesn't really have anywhere else to go," Tucker said. "Not to say he can't wind up anywhere in the country, but we feel like he's going to stay close to home."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Heavy rain was already falling in the South on Saturday morning as western North Carolina prepares for the potential for as much as a foot of snow this weekend.

A major storm in the southern U.S. dumped significant amounts of rain in Texas on Friday night into early Saturday morning. Areas near Houston reported rainfall rates overnight of up to 2 inches per hour as bands of thunderstorms moved through. Bunker Hill Village in Harris County received 7.88 inches of rain over past 24 hours, while Lake Jackson saw 7.72 inches and College Station received 3.98 inches.

The radar on Saturday morning shows the storm is primarily a rain-producing system, with the heaviest bands producing downpours east of Houston.

When all is said and done in Texas and the Gulf Coast, widespread rainfall totals are expected to amount to 3 to 6 inches.

As a result, the risk of flooding is extremely significant. Flash flood watches and flood watches are in effect from eastern Texas to Georgia on Saturday.

On the northern edge of the system, there is snow and ice occurring with this storm. Already 3.25 inches of snow has been reported in Lubbock, Texas. Snow and a wintry mix are beginning to spread from the Texas Panhandle to northern Arkansas Saturday morning. Winter weather advisories and winter storm warnings are in effect from New Mexico to Virginia.

The storm system will track to the east-northeast Saturday afternoon into evening. During this time, cold air from the north will be wrapped into the system, which will set the stage for moderate to heavy snowfall in the Piedmont region and North Carolina. Very heavy snow is expected to fall in southwest Virginia and North Carolina on Sunday.

Further south, torrential rain will dominate, setting the stage for flooding in Georgia. Upwards of 6 inches of rain is expected in the Southeast once the storm has moved through by Monday. The National Weather Service has already issued flood watches for much of northern Georgia.

Winter storm watches and warnings are in effect in the Southeast as well.

The system will be offshore by noon on Monday, but it still will be producing rain and snow from Virginia to Tennessee and Alabama.

Snowfall totals of 6 to 12 inches will be widespread in Virginia and North Carolina. Localized amounts of greater than 1 foot are highly likely for the mountainous western areas of these states.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

South_agency/iStock(NEW YORK) -- The mother and brother of a double murder suspect are now under arrest themselves after allegedly conspiring to kill witnesses to their family member's slayings.

Joseph Federico and Wendy Federico, both of Chesterfield, Virginia, were arrested on Friday after police alleged they took part in the murder-for-hire plot.

The murder-for-hire plot was allegedly directed by the jailed Joshua Federico -- the brother of Joseph and son of Wendy -- who was arrested in August and charged with the murders of his estranged wife and her new boyfriend.

Joseph Federico, 41, has been charged with three counts of conspiracy to commit capital murder, solicitation to commit capital murder, attempted capital murder and two counts of felony obstruction of justice.

Wendy Federico, 63, was charged with three counts of conspiracy to commit capital murder and two counts of felony obstruction of justice.

In addition to the arrests of his mother and brother, Joshua Federico's friend Constantine Trikoulis was also allegedly involved in the plot to kill witnesses. He has been charged with three counts of conspiracy to commit capital murder, as well as two counts of felony obstruction of justice and accessory after the fact to first-degree murder.

Already saddled with two murder charges from August, Joshua Federico will now face three counts of conspiracy to commit capital murder -- for allegedly trying to organize the murder of three witnesses to his crime.

The FBI and Virginia State Police also assisted in the investigation.

Joshua Federico, 44, and his estranged wife, Sarah, were engaged in a bitter separation battle, according to divorce papers acquired by Richmond ABC affiliate WRIC-TV. He accused her of adultery in the papers, while she said he was guilty of "extreme cruelty," stole money from her and even caused her to have a car accident.

Laura Miller, another friend of Joshua Federico, was also arrested on Friday for assisting him after the double murders in August.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KFSN-TV(VISALIA, Calif.) -- A California high school teacher was released from jail Friday two days after video surfaced showing her forcibly cutting off a student's hair while singing the national anthem.

A video obtained by ABC television station KFSN-TV shows Margaret Gieszinger, a teacher at University Preparatory High School on the campus of College of the Sequoias Community College in Visalia, holding a pair of scissors in one hand as she points to a chair at the front of her classroom and urges a male student to sit down.

The footage shows Gieszinger grab a hold of the the boy's short hair as he reluctantly takes a seat and his classmates watch in disbelief. She then shears off a chunk of his hair and tosses it over her shoulder, all while belting out "The Star-Spangled Banner."

The video continues to show Gieszinger walk to the back of the classroom, where she grabs a hold of a girl's long tresses while raising the scissors in the air and snipping the blades. The student manages to escape unscathed as the rest of the class runs out of the room in horror.

Students told KFSN that Gieszinger entered the classroom that morning with the scissors in her hand and declared that it was "haircut day."

One student, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told KFSN that after the incident he ran to the school's main office for help.

"We think she's going to try to be funny and be like, 'Oh, did you really think I was going to cut his hair?' But she did cut a hair off, and she started singing the 'Star Spangled Banner' and she was singing it really loudly as she ceremoniously tossed a chunk of hair behind her," the student said. "I hope I never have to see her at the school again because I know for a fact I can never see her as a respectable authority figure in my life."

Students told KFSN they don't know what caused Gieszinger to behave in such a way, noting that she had experienced another breakdown earlier in the week.

The College of the Sequoias District Police Department arrested Gieszinger, 52, on suspicion of felony child endangerment. She was held at Tulare County's pre-trial facility on $100,000 bail, according to inmate records. It was not immediately known if she has obtained an attorney.

On Friday, Gieszinger was charged with one count of false imprisonment, two counts of cruelty to a child, two counts of battery and one count of assault. The six misdemeanor counts could add up to three years and six months in jail if she's found guilty.

She was released from jail Friday night on her own recognizance and will next appear in court on Dec. 17. She covered her face and did not take questions from reporters while leaving jail with her husband.

Gieszinger's husband told KFSN he's shocked and confused by what happened.

"Trying to figure it out myself, so I don't know what happened," he said. "It's not her. It's not who she is. So I don't know what was going on with her. I don't have any clue as to why she did that."

Tulare County Superintendent of Schools Jim Vidak, whose office oversees the high school, said Gieszinger was "promptly removed" from her classroom after the "disturbing" incident and will not be returning.

"The staff at University Preparatory High School and the administration at the Tulare County Office of Education are deeply concerned for the students who were subjected to the disturbing behavior in Margaret Gieszinger’s class yesterday morning," Vidak said in a statement Thursday. "We are reviewing all available information and will take the most severe employment action appropriate."

A "highly qualified" substitute teacher will take over Gieszinger’s class for the rest of the semester as the school looks for a permanent replacement, according to Vidak.

"To support all students on the UPHS campus today, we have sent top counselors from our mental health services program," the superintendent said. "They will continue to be available to the students as long as necessary."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

AndreyPopov/iStock(NEW YORK) -- The man who rammed his car into a crowd at the Charlottesville rally in 2017 where one counter-protester was killed and others injured has been found guilty of first-degree murder.

Suspect James Alex Fields was on trial for the death and injuries he is accused of causing when he drove his car into a crowd of counter-protesters.

His lawyer said in court that Fields was "scared to death" after the Unite the Right rally turned violent and clashes had broken out between protesters and counter-protesters, and they built their case around the claim that he was acting in self defense.

The 10 charges he faced in this trial in the Charlottesville City Circuit Court are separate from the 30 federal charges he faces that relate to hate crimes. One of those federal charges is eligible for the death penalty. He entered a not guilty plea in both the Circuit Court case and to the federal charges.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Frizi/iStock(NEW YORK) -- After three months without surface lava activity, the U.S. Geological Survey says the eruption of Hawaii's Kilauea can be considered over.

The USGS notes that Kilauea remains an active volcano, and eruptions are likely in the future.

Kilauea erupted in May, throwing ash into the atmosphere and releasing lava into the ocean at multiple sites. The eruption slowed over the summer, and the last active lava was reported at the surface in September. Ninety days of inactivity led the USGS to declare the eruption over.

One of five volcanoes on the Island of Hawaii, Kilauea has been eruption "continuously" since 1983. With more than three months since reported lava, however, that eruption is likely to have come to an end. The Smithsonian Institution's Global Volcanism Project states that a volcano without eruptive activity for three months is not classified as having a "continuing" eruption."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

PeopleImages/iStock(UPPER DARBY, Pa.) -- A Pennsylvania couple have been charged with murder following the death of their 10-month-old daughter.

Joseph Milano, 32, and Lauren Semanyk, 34, failed to seek medical treatment for their infant daughter even after she displayed signs of a drug overdose, according to the Delaware County District Attorney's Office.

On April 16, authorities were alerted around 1 a.m. that an infant was in cardiac arrest, according to Upper Darby Police. Semanyk told responding officers that the infant had been taking a bath and slid under the water. The infant had no pulse and was not breathing when police showed up at the home.

The baby was transported to the hospital, where Semanyk admitted it was possible the baby had ingested heroin. The baby was pronounced dead less than an hour later, police said.

Autopsy results revealed the death as a homicide, according to the police report. The cause of death was “synthetic fentanyl intoxication and results thereof.”

The Upper Darby Township Police Department began an investigation into the death, ultimately concluding Milano and Semanyk waited over six hours to call for medical help for their daughter despite being aware she ingested what they believed to be heroin.

During the investigation, Milano told police his daughter was playing by herself when he discovered her “looking out of it,” with a piece of blue wax paper in her mouth, according to a police report. The report also noted heroin is frequently packaged in blue wax paper.

Milano told police he called Semanyk asking her to come home and began giving his daughter CPR. After returning home, Semanyk, a registered nurse in the state of Pennsylvania, performed CPR on her daughter. She concluded her daughter was breathing and had a “good” heart rate. Milano and Semanyk debated whether to call 911 or take their daughter to a hospital. At approximately 10 p.m. on April 16 Milano called police but immediately hung up.

The police were called again after the infant “took a turn for the worst” and stopped breathing, according to police.

“This is a very tragic story and it shows what drug addiction can do,” Upper Darby Police Chief Michael Chitwood said in a press conference Thursday.

“The life of this infant could have been saved if the defendants … had contacted authorities immediately,” Delaware County District Attorney Katayoun Copeland said. “Instead, they wasted precious time, taking hours to finally follow through and only calling 911 when it was too late.”

It was unclear if the couple had retained a lawyer.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Ventura County Sheriff(THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.) -- In a heartbreaking twist to last month's mass shooting in Thousand Oaks, California, the sheriff's office sergeant who was among 12 slain that night was fatally struck by friendly fire amid a chaotic gunfight, authorities said Friday.

Eleven bar-goers, as well as Ventura County Sheriff Sgt. Ron Helus, were killed at the bar on Nov. 7, allegedly by 28-year-old Ian David Long.

Long had stormed the venue and fired more than 50 rounds, hitting 13 people, authorities said.

Amid the chaos and confusion, as bleeding bar-goers were fleeing, Helus and a California Highway Patrol officer who responded with him were attacked almost immediately by Long, who fired multiple rounds at them, Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub said at a news conference Friday.

Helus was hit five times by Long, but the injuries were "potentially survivable," Ventura County Medical examiner Dr. Christopher Young said Friday.

Both officers quickly retreated and fired at Long, Ayub said.

During what the CHP called a "fierce firefight," a sixth bullet fired by the CHP officer hit Helus in the chest and heart, authorities said.

That sixth bullet caused the most severe injuries, Young said. "That bullet struck vital organs and was fatal," Ayub said.

It wasn't clear if the officer's bullet was accidentally discharged or purposely fired at Long.

CHP Coastal Division Chief L.D. Maples called the news "devastating."

The involved CHP officer is a nine-year veteran of the agency with a military background and was "devastated" by the news, the CHP said.

He was not currently on duty as of Friday.

"I extend my heartfelt condolences to Sgt. Helus' family, friends and the men and the women of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office," Maples said.

Maples stressed, "The blame for this tragedy lies with one person -- the suspect."

The sheriff echoed Maples' sentiments.

"He alone created the violence," Ayub said of Long. "The burden lies solely with him -- not those who tried to save lives."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Our Daily Deal

Get your $50.00 gift certificate for hair care services for 50% OFF while supplies last!


Local News

WJTN News Headlines for Dec. 7, 2018

Snowfall totals weren't what they were predicted to be early Thursday, but there was still more than enough to slick up roads across Chautauqua County and making driving conditions hazardous last ...

Read More